Safety and Risk Manager
Under the general direction of the senior management, this position is responsible for organizational risk management including: (1) planning, directing, and coordinating risk and insurance programs of the organization and its’ clients to control and reduce operational and contractual risks; (2) managing insurance industry relationships and for all operations of the organization and its clients to include but not limited to policies for Workers Compensation and oversight of the overall risk management functions including claims administration. Develops and manages the safety program for both the organization and its’ clients. Manages and participates with management in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for assigned programs; oversees and coordinates safety program activities; ensures compliance with Office of Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and related local, state, and federal regulations; works with employees to correct deficiencies; conducts safety inspections; responds to complaints of safety hazards; oversees and/or conducts safety training and claims management; reviews and updates all work plans, OSHA related programs and policies as necessary. Works with service teams, all levels of Management and carrier/TPA to ensure quality service and resolve issues.
- Create annual safety and risk plan for the organization and its client companies.
- Create a budget, manage and control expenditures.
- Establish operational policy for client companies with regard to risk management, safety and worker’s compensation.
- Create and conduct two new or refresher safety training topics per year for client companies and internal staff.
- Solve client operational problems with regard to workers compensation claims, risk management and safety, to ensure quality service.
- Conduct both new and current client safety inspections to identify job hazards and controls.
- Ensure risk processes are current.
- Manage field surveys and site inspections.
- Administrate and manage return to work program.
- Manage and administer drug-testing program.
- Prepare worker’s compensation portion of the conversion package for the client conversion meeting.
- Attend conversion meetings, as required, to discuss issues.
- Receive, coordinate, process information and establish case files of all related information for clients, employees, carriers, and government.
- Contact employees immediately after injury, clarifying actions and options.
- Manage claims to include authorization of treatment and verify drug test administration.
- Manage treatment facilities to ensure compliance with organizational requirements.
- Aggressively administer the return to work program including light duty, new jobs to include but not limited to; monitoring patient progress, keeping client and carrier informed and providing necessary reports.
- Administer incident, OSHA and loss time injury reporting providing required information to all appropriate parties.
- Produce and audit monthly loss reports and provide findings to CEO.
- Measures and evaluates effectiveness of safety program, using established goals.
- Develop contingency plans to deal with emergencies.
- Manage and support litigated claims.
- Annually create accident/injury trend report.
- Provide for post accident drug testing and other testing in compliance with federal and state laws and regulations.
- Ensure clients, employees, and staff, receive proper drug education.
- Comply with all notice and reporting requirements.
- Evaluate prospective client risk/loss information.
- Maintain contact with carrier/TPA.
- Work with HR on alcohol and drug policies and rehabilitation programs for clients.
- Meet with prospects, when necessary.
- Participate in management meetings.
- Participate in strategic decision making, including setting goals and decisions products services as well as mergers and acquisitions.
- Responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of all risk management, workers compensation and safety files.
- Stay current in worker’s compensation, risk management and safety field.
- Make sure all accident and injury files are scanned into paperless system.
- Make sure all info for injuries is updated into HRIS system and current.
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Safety & Health/Biological Sciences, Health Sciences or related fields or 5-10 years related experience.
- 5+ years in safety field conducting site surveys, evaluating risk and giving safety presentations to employees
- 3 - 5 years Risk Management experience
- 5 - 10 years worker’s compensation management
- Must pass pre-employment drug test and criminal background check
- Ability to work more than an 8-hour day plus occasional nights and weekends
- Ability to work irregular hours and extended shifts, including weekends and holidays as needed
- Have physical strength and stamina required to drive for long distances, stand for long periods of time, walk long distances, climb latter and stairs, bend/stoop and kneel for extended periods, lift a minimum of 50 lbs
- Work may involve exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors and/or loud noises
- Is professional in appearance and in manners at all times
- Communicates easily and clearly, listens intently, interact with a wide range of clients and employee levels
- Highly responsive to client request
- Ability to work in a team environment with a strong work ethic, punctual and self-motivated/starter
- Maintain a positive and can do work ethic especially during problem resolution and difficult situations
- Lead safety/risk programs for clients
- Ability to train all levels of staff on a wide variety of topics; forklift, needle stick, slip and falls, etc.
- Work on ladders
- Understand and follow specific verbal and written instructions
- Write, enforce and follow safety procedures and practices
- Ability to operate cell phone, computer/tablet while in the field
- Understand client satisfaction focus of their industry/business and consistently exceed client expectations
- Ability to process, promote and manage the claims management process for clients
- Promote continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices
- Ensure focus remains on safety, cost control and client service
Professional and Community Affiliations:
- Maintain a membership in a national or local chapter of American Society Safety Engineering
- Actively participate in community organizations ( i.e. chamber of commerce)
THIS POSITION IS EXEMPT. PRE-EMPLOYMENT DRUG TEST AND CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK REQUIRED.